Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image

Speech by Oracle CEO to yale graduates

  • When you press the calculator...
  • HEY EVERYONE!!~~~

    Yeap. I came across this VERY VERY interesting speech the other day and i thought it will be very meaningful to share with everyone!!

    READ ON IF YOU...
    1. Want a good laugh... at yourself
    2. Is too bored and wants sth to ponder about...

    The speech by Oracle CEO to yale graduates:

    "Graduates of Yale University, I apologize if you have endured this type of prologue before, but I want you to do something for me. Please, take a good look around you. Look at the classmate on your left. Look at the classmate on your right. Now, consider this: five years from now, 10 years from now, even 30 thirty years from now, odds are the person on your left is going to be a loser. The person on your right, meanwhile, will also be a loser. And you, in the middle? What can you expect? Loser. Loserhood. Loser Cum Laude.

    "In fact, as I look out before me today, I don't see a thousand hopes for a bright tomorrow. I don't see a thousand future leaders in a thousand industries. I see a thousand losers.

    "You're upset. That's understandable. After all, how can I, Lawrence 'Larry' Ellison, college dropout, have the audacity to spout such heresy to the graduating class of one of the nation's most prestigious institutions? I'll tell you why. Because I, Lawrence "Larry" Ellison, second richest man on the planet, am a college dropout, and you are not.

    "Because Bill Gates, richest man on the planet -- for now, anyway -- is a college dropout, and you are not.

    "Because Paul Allen, the third richest man on the planet, dropped out of college, and you did not.

    "And for good measure, because Michael Dell, No. 9 on the list and moving up fast, is a college dropout, and you, yet again, are not.

    "Hmm... you're very upset. That's understandable. So let me stroke your egos for a moment by pointing out, quite sincerely, that your diplomas were not attained in vain. Most of you, I imagine, have spent four to five years here, and in many ways what you've learned and endured will serve you well in the years ahead. You've established good work habits. You've established a network of people that will help you down the road. And you've established what will be lifelong relationships with the word 'therapy.' All that of is good. For in truth, you will need that network. You will need those strong work habits. You will need that therapy.

    "You will need them because you didn't drop out, and so you will never be among the richest people in the world. Oh sure, you may, perhaps, work your way up to No. 10 or No. 11, like Steve Ballmer. But then, I don't have to tell you who he really works for, do I? And for the record, he dropped out of grad school. Bit of a late bloomer.

    "Finally, I realize that many of you, and hopefully by now most of you, are wondering, 'Is there anything I can do? Is there any hope for me at all?' Actually, no. It's too late. You've absorbed too much, think you know too much. You're not 19 anymore. You have a built-in cap, and I'm not referring to the mortar boards on your heads.

    "Hmm... you're really very upset. That's understandable. So perhaps this would be a good time to bring up the silver lining. Not for you, Class of '00. You are a write-off, so I'll let you slink off to your pathetic $200,000-a-year jobs, where your checks will be signed by former classmates who dropped out two years ago.

    "Instead, I want to give hope to any underclassmen here today. I say to you, and I can't stress this enough: leave. Pack your things and your ideas and don't come back. Drop out. Start up.

    "For I can tell you that a cap and gown will keep you down just as suredly as these security guards dragging me off this stage are keeping me dow..."


    YEAP THAT's ALL for today FOLKS!!!

    P.S. If you are going to be absent for next week due to reasons OTHER than ssef, please just poke me sometime in sch or inform me via email/sms/facebook/call... XD
    P.S.S the people who are going for SSEF are:
    - hanyi
    - yuhe
    - mengjie
    - qinyan
    - songkai
    - meng ying
    - eng keat
    - xu jun
    - yan yu
    PLEASE TELL ME IF YOUR NAME IS FORGOTTEN. good luck!!~~

    ARIGATO~~
    Yu He

    2 comments:

    Mr. Mark Tan said...

    Hello 10S7F,

    Interesting speech! Allow me to share my thoughts on it. It is true that the richest people on Earth are likely to be 'dropouts' or those that have gone off the normal beaten track. But let me lend some perspective with a simple analogy.

    The 'safe' road of academia and education is one that many feet have tread upon. It is true that you are unlikely to be among the richest people in the world if you follow that path because many people have walked on that road before. Any coins dropped there would have been picked up by the person before, and you are relying on him or her to drop his or her coins if you are looking for any loose change.

    Another way is to venture off this track, and make your own road. Somewhere out there, there is treasure and that pot of gold. But for every 100 people veering off this track, only some find this pot of gold. Many others find leaves and twigs.

    I cannot say that either of the ways to live are right or wrong. How one lives one's life is down to oneself. But I can lend some perspective from my experience.

    If you might have realised, 'your' life does not belong to just yourself. Where you are, the clothes that you wear, the shoes that brought you down this path were not put there by you and your efforts alone.

    Soon you might realise that along this journey of life you might have a companion, or your family might be accompanying you along it. You might be fine with eating leaves and twigs but do consider others.

    Of course, you might find someone or have a family that shares the same dream of finding treasure like yourself. But always consider the impact of your choices on those around you.

    For every Oracle, there are many others whom have not had the same measure of success. Success does not give you the right to demean others whom have not chosen the same path as yourself.

    While I applaud his shock tactics in getting the graduants' attention, it might not be appropriate considering the invitation rendered to him as a guest speaker.

    To quote a line from 'The True Gentleman', A true gentleman is someone "who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another".

    It is a smart speech, but if one is wise he or she will realise that there was also a lot of chance involved in becoming among the richest men along the way and some humility is wanting.

    Any thoughts on this?

    Sincerely,
    Mr. Tan

    Khor Shi-Jie said...

    Shi-Jie here. In the above speech, the Oracle CEO is commenting about how college dropouts become successful in the future. Personally, I find a major flaw in his speech: he measures success by wealth.

    So, what do we aim in our life? Money? Health? Family? Different people have different definition for success, and obviously not everyone aims to earn the big bucks in their life. Being a college dropout and endeavour in the business industry is a big risk. A misstep would probably waste many years that can be dedicated for education or other aspirations. Furthermore, these people may have to sacrifice the things dearest to them to sharpen their competitive edge. Perhaps this people find joy in doing so, but most people in the society are not prepared for this challenge.

    I find myself enjoying every bit of our education system. It is holistic, enjoyable and flexible. Personally, I do not aspire to earn the big bucks. I would rather take a noble and inspiring job, such as educating. At least for my type of person, I will definitely not quit college education.

    I thought it is apt to bring out this article... We are in JC right now, and it is time to set direction in our life. Currently I believe that I have a rather clear direction for my future (I want to enter Cambridge Math and be a lecturer/tutor in the future). Perhaps other people would like to share about your aspirations? (This is a blog after all, not some formal discussion (: )

    Post a Comment

    (c) Copyright 2010 10s7FACTORIAL. Blogger template by Bloggermint